Why does it seem like, no matter how "good" you promise yourself you'll be throughout the holiday season, it just doesn't happen? Even if you go into it with the best of intentions, you inevitably go out with your belt moved up a notch in the wrong direction.
We don't want you to blame yourself, it simply can't be helped. After all, it's the season of one holiday party leading to another impromptu happy hour which leads to a cookie exchange (where it would frankly just be rude to not sample the baked goods), which leads to a New Year's Eve party with a full buffet and champagne flowing like Niagara Falls, which leads to the promise to yourself that, starting January 1, you're going to start fresh, starting with your diet.
While you might think that dieting means taking eating out completely off the table, thankfully that's not always the case, especially if you are going to try the Keto or another low-carb diet. In fact, lots of Buffalo Wings & Rings' menu items fit into low-carb diets.
What Is the Keto Diet?
While there are lots of ways to healthily lose weight, the Keto diet is one that has gained in popularity recently due to its focus on a reduction in carbs to help your body become more efficient at burning fat for energy. This reduction of carbs puts your body into ketosis, a metabolic process in which your body is forced to burn fat instead of glucose, mimicking the metabolism that fasting would typically produce.
Originally developed in the 1920s as a diet used to help control the symptoms of epilepsy, it saw a resurgence in the late 90s when Atkins and other low-carb diets gained national attention as weight-loss solutions.
What Are the Types of Ketogenic Diets?
There are four different types of Keto diets:
- Standard: Low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet (75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs).
- Cyclical: Involves periods of higher carb refeeds, for example, five ketogenic days followed by two days of high carbs.
- Targeted: Allows you to add in carbs around workouts.
- High-protein: Includes more protein than the standard version (60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs).
What Are the Benefits of the Keto Diet?
While the jury is still out on whether or not the Keto diet is healthy long-term, a lot of people report weight loss results from following the diet's tenants. Other benefits include:
- The Keto diet is filling and requires no calorie counting.
- Keto has been shown to lower some risk factors for diseases such as improved blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Increased protein intake which can be healthier for some.
What Foods Should Be Avoided on the Keto Diet?
Foods to avoid on the Keto diet include:
- Grains of all kinds.
- Most fruits (with the exception of low-glycemic fruits like berries, tomatoes, avocados, and olives).
- Starchy vegetables such as those that grow in the ground (potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, etc.).
- Legumes such as beans and peas.
- Most high-sugar milks, soft cheeses, condensed milk, low-fat or fat-free yogurts.
- Sugared bacon or other hidden-carb processed meats.
- Sodas and other sugary beverages.
Keto-Friendly Foods You Can Eat at BWR
There are many menu items you can order at Buffalo Wings & Rings that are keto-approved. In fact, according to our very own Chef Dan, BWR is "A natural fit for Keto because our menu contains Keto items that require no or very little modification."
- Traditional and grilled wings with dry rubs. Wings can still be had 0n the Keto diet and Chef Dan adds that his ideal order would be "Traditional wings with the lemon pepper dry rub and a side of steamed broccoli and side salad."
- Burgers. Meat is keto-friendly. Buns, not so much. Not to worry, depending on the Keto-diet variation you're following, you can simply order a burger without the bun, with cheese, vegetable toppings, and sauce. For sides add broccoli or a salad or both.
- Sandwiches. The same can be said for sandwiches. BWR's Blackened Salmon and Grilled Chicken are perfectly acceptable on the diet, but you'll want to pass on the bread and instead load up on the extras like onions, greens, tomatoes, pickles, and bell peppers. To bulk up your meal, consider adding on a big side salad with blue cheese or ranch dressing.
- Salads. Speaking of salads, the Harvest, Blackened Salmon, and Classic Cobb are all tasty, Keto-friendly options. Order without cheese if you are avoiding all dairy. For another salad option, ask for the Buffalo Chicken Nachos served on a bed of lettuce instead of on top of chips.
No matter if your New Year's resolution involves a Keto diet or another attempt at eating better, you can adapt your Buffalo Wings & Rings order to fit. Find your nearest location today!