At Wings and Rings, we take our chicken seriously. From our always-popular chicken wings to our chicken sandwiches and everything in between, we seek to make the ordinary extraordinary. Take those aforementioned chicken sandwiches, for example. Not content to just grill a piece of chicken, add it to a bun, and call it a day, we spent lots of time in our test kitchen trying to find the perfect chicken recipe that was worthy of a spot on our menu. We won’t bore you with all of the chicken iterations here, but let’s just say, while there were quite a few contenders, only one preparation rose to the top: beer battered chicken.
To explain more about this recipe, how it’s made, and why it's so popular with our customers, we went straight to the top, speaking with Wings and Rings’ personal chicken connoisseur and head chef Dan Admire.
What Is Beer-Battered Chicken?
At its essence, Chef Dan explains, beer batter is beer mixed with flour and other seasonings that is then used as a dredge for chicken before it’s fried to perfection. Although he can’t give away the flavoring secrets, Chef Dan did let us in on the kind of suds he prefers to add to the beer batter: full-flavored, smooth Sam Adams lager.
Why Do We Use a Beer Batter?
Chef Dan says that coating the chicken breasts in a beer batter “Makes the crust extra crispy because of the natural leavening the beer gives to the flour.” In addition, he says the beer batter adds a depth of flavoring to the coating you just can’t get with flour and spices alone.
Get Your Beer Batter Fill With Our Chicken Sandwiches and Limited Time Offers
All of the chicken sandwiches* on our menu are made with the tasty beer batter coating, including our new:
- MVP Chicken Ringer: This premium-cut chicken breast sandwich is coated in house-made beer batter and topped with our signature spicy mayo and pickles on a toasted brioche bun, with a side of natural-cut fries.
- Buffalo Chicken Ringer: A house-made beer batter and premium-cut chicken breast is topped with our signature Buffalo Hot sauce, Applewood-smoked bacon, lettuce, and tomato. It’s all served on a toasted brioche bun with a choice of bleu cheese dip or ranch dressing, with a side of natural-cut fries.
- Korean Chicken Ringer: Our premium-cut chicken breasts are slathered in house-made beer batter and then topped with zesty gochujang sauce and Asian slaw. It’s also served on a toasted brioche bun with a side of natural-cut fries.
*grilled chicken can also be subbed for all sandwiches.
More Beer Batter in Our Limited Time Offers
In addition to our regular menu items, the current limited time offers also benefit from the beer batter treatment. “We [started by building] off the Oktoberfest theme and of course chicken was our first thought,” Chef Dan said. “We [came up with the] idea of beer batter and it evolved to include a beer cheese dipping sauce.”
Limited time offers include:
- ACS Cheers to Hope: Support the American Cancer Society by biting into this crispy, house-made beer battered chicken breast sandwich topped with applewood smoked bacon, caramelized onions, lettuce, and tomato then drizzled with Sam Adams beer cheese on a brioche bun, served with natural-cut fries.
- Sam Adams Drunken Tenders: Our crispy, house-made beer battered chicken tenders are served with Sam Adams beer cheese dipping sauce and served with french fries.
- Sam Adams Drunken Nachos: Okay so maybe not beer battered chicken, but deliciously beery nonetheless! Our crunchy tortilla chips are smothered with house-made Sam Adams beer cheese, and topped with pulled pork, green onions, diced tomatoes, and fresh jalapeño slices, and then drizzled with our sweet BBQ sauce.
Chef Dan admits his favorite beer-battered menu item is the MVP Chicken Ringer because, “It has everything I enjoy [while] letting the chicken breast take center stage: Butter toasted brioche bun, beer battered chicken breast, our spicy MVP sauce, and sweet-salty pickles.”
While the MVP Chicken Ringer is a huge hit with the chef, we really think the best way to find your own favorite is to try them all! So, what do you say? Head down to your nearest Wings and Rings location today, or place an order to go!